[Pubtech] ME piece on Lower Voltages [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Wed Jul 25 17:26:25 PDT 2001

Pals:

Here's a tid-bit from another list I am on that you might find interesting
and informative (and pertinent to our list, as well).

William

<pubtech at lists.wduq.org>

>> >       kWH meters indeed measure kiloWATThours. They multiply the
instantaneous
>> > voltage by the instantaneous current and integrate it over time. Pretty
>> > amazing mechanical device! If you have a reactive load, it properly uses
>> > WATTS in the calculation, not VARs. Also, if you have, say, a three phase
>> > induction motor on the line, then drive the shaft to above synchronous
>> > speed, the motor is putting power back into the line (the power coming
>> > from the mechanism driving the shaft), and the kwh meter will go
>> > backwards. In California, we have "net energy billing", so if you do
>> > small scale cogeneration and dump power back into the grid, you are
>> > billed for the net energy consumed as long as you remain a net consumer.
>> > If you are a net producer instead of consumer, you are paid the wholesale
>> > rate for the electricity you dump back into the grid.
>> >
>> > Harold
>> >

>> > FCC Rules Online at http://hallikainen.com/FccRules
>> > Lighting control for theatre and television at http://www.dovesystems.com

>>  questions to pubtech-admin at wduq.org

>--
>Telecommunications Engineering
>Gray Frierson Haertig & Assoc.
>820 North River Street, Suite 100
>Portland, Oregon 97227
>503-282-2989
>503-282-3181  FAX
>gfh at haertig.com
message to the List Address with the word "help" in the SUBJECT field or
visit the PUBtech web access at http://pubtech.org     You can also test
(ping) the server or your mail account with this service using the same
method.  Send subscription questions to pubtech-admin at wduq.org

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com