Solar Energy Education [RE-wrenches]

Scott Suddreth, Rock Castle Solar grateful at boone.net
Tue Jul 17 20:41:12 PDT 2001

Colin,
  I would like to tell you about my alumi for renewable energy education.
Appalachian State University (Boone, NC) has an Industrial Technology Degree
that has a concentration in Appropriate Technology. The program has been
established for over 17 years and has a strong history of worthy
achievements. I have an undergraduate and a Masters from their program and i
think it was a good program. Hands on projects all the way through (pv,
wind, hydro, energy efficiency, green building, solar design, water heating,
solar food dehydration, solar cookers, biodiesel. To check it out for
yourself look on the web at
http://www.acs.appstate.edu/dept/tech/Appropriate.htm
and
http://www.appstate.edu/www_docs/student/clubs/solar/ASUresearch.html
We have graduates in Japan, Hawaii, Colorado, Texas, and Mexico. I follow RE
education very closely as our program is kinda unique and I would feel
confident saying that it is the most extensive[or one of the most extensive]
programs currently offered in the US with a college degree. Our coordinator,
Dennis Scanlin has been published in Home Power three or four times with our
research. He has been recently awarded a grant from DOE for utility wind
assessment in Western NC.
As a result of this program we also have the most active student chapter of
the American Solar Energy Society in America with over 24 free workshops to
the public a year. To see what ASUSES is all about check out
www.asuses.org

My wrenches' tools have been gathering dust the last few months as i am now
focusing more on RE education. I am spreading the word!

Keep up the good work everyone.

Gratefully yours,
Scott "Solar" Suddreth
http://users.boone.net/grateful/