Sunny Boy SWR 2500 U [RE-wrenches]

Baran Galocy livewire at c-zone.net
Thu Jul 5 23:00:43 PDT 2001

Just a performance note,

I commissioned a Sunny Boy SWR2500U inverter running at 396 vdc on
twenty-four  SX120-S  panels.  The SX panels are a joy.  The -S suffix
designates a w/p #10 male and female lead in a modified rubber jacket.  The
panels simply daisy-chain together.  I pulled out some #4 thhn from the
attic and replaced it with #12 ROMEX as the array runs at 7.5 amps.  I had
the #4 when I planned on using an ST-2500.  45 amps at 48 vdc required that
ridicules gauge wire from the j-box to the inverter (or a slew or smaller
wires).

The Sunny Boy has a commissioning sequence to prove the ground is isolated
from dc neg.  This is done by powering up with the (GFI) fuse removed.
After the proper light sequence, the unit is powered off, the fuse replaced,
and you are ready to roll.  Upon power up, the inverter goes through a slow
80 step countdown (about two minutes), it then begins sampling the utility
line and sequencing with it.  When it locks in, it begins its MPPT
algorithm.  This unit has the new display in its face.  It displays the dc
power and voltage present at the panels, alternating with daily KW
generated.

The Sunny Boy hums slightly, but offers nothing real in the way of noise.
Mounting on an interior wall was facilitated with two horizontal bars of
Power-Strut, as the spacing has nothing to do with stud walls. The top two
spring nuts required locking on by fender washers and nuts to provide the
proper depth of 1/4" bolt and head, as the unit hangs on the top two bolts,
and is fastened securely with the bottom one.   Access is by two 1/2" K.O.'s
taped over on the bottom of the unit's tapered cabinet, below the face.

At 10:30 AM on 3 July with high, hazy clouds, the unit was generating 1,875
watts of its 2,400+ watts of optimum output.   This was still enough to make
the meter spin backwards on a 3,800 sq. ft. house before the HVAC kicked on.
Nothing but smiles from the owners (and building inspector!-:).

The SWR 2500U weighs almost as much as two Trace ST2000 inverters, and is
built into a package size reminiscent of a slightly down-sized Trace
SW-series inverter.   All in all, I believe that SMA-America has a mighty
fine product on its hands.  If supply can be met and software flies (as it
has), this unit could fill some holes, along with its 700 watt and 1,100
watt siblings.

Baran Galocy DBA HelioElectric

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com