two battery banks? [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue Jun 12 06:51:24 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
David,
>Does anybody have experience with running a two battery bank system? Pleases
>share your pros and cons whether you have actually done one or not.
>
>Dave Palumbo
>IP&L

Cons: Two sets of wires coming in to separate mains panels. The PAR-E
interface, like the SWI interface we would use here, requires the
inverters to be fed EXACTLY the same DC voltage to work correctly.
You will never get that with two battery systems.
Two battery monitors and associated wiring, fusing, etc. Two dummy
load systems. Less efficiency all around.
Pros: Redundancy, but not really. If you have one inverter or other
system component go down, you lose your power to that set of loads. I
suppose you could do some kind of fancy load switch, but then the
other load bank is down. Far better to feed the whole lot through the
stacked inverters and have half power to everybody by disconnecting
the PAR-E if one machine goes belly up.
Bob-O

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com