two battery banks? [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Mon Jun 11 19:32:29 PDT 2001

I am designing a fairly large system which will include:
(2) of Ron Macleod's Francis turbines at 2 to 3kw each.
5 to 6kw of PV (looks like Uni-Solar PVL laminate).
127.2kwh of 4KS-25PS Surrette batteries.
(2)Trace SW4548E (the system is headed for the UK).

The client is curious as to the wisdom of putting all (24) of the 4 volt
Surrettes together for a bank of 2,650 amp hrs at 48v
, or separating them into two 1,325 amp hr banks each with a turbine feeding
them, (1) inverter etc...
Saving money is not a big concern here; reliability, flexibility, and
efficiency are the watchwords.
The loads will be: ground source heat pumps, lighting, and computers.

Does anybody have experience with running a two battery bank system? Pleases
share your pros and cons whether you have actually done one or not.

Dave Palumbo
IP&L

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com