E-Meter on 36V system [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Mon May 14 18:31:19 PDT 2001

"John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind" wrote:

>   This will be my first installation on an EV.  Anything to watch out for?

E-Meter makes a special "filtered" unit for EVs now, although I've been running a
standard unit on my 144v EV for over 5 years without any serious problems. DC
voltage "noise" during some operations can cause display glitches, but I've never
seen it. (Running thru a pre-scaler may be protecting me somewhat.)

  Hook up power across the 24 volts worth of batteries closest to the negative
end. It's very important that power negative and voltage sense negative wires
both connect at the same point. Fuse your 24v plus wire with a 2 or 3 amp inline
fuse.

  Disconnect your meter power before you disconnect any battery interconnect
cables, I did toast one meter somehow during some terminal cleaning maintenance.

  The only really annoying problem I've had is under wide-open throttle
accelleration, with a battery pack that's more than 40% discharged, I can pull my
24v power source batteries down under 9 volts, which resets the E-Meter.
Golf-cart batteries just don't sustain those 500-amp surges and hold their
voltage! This, um, probably won't be a problem on your golf cart... :-)

Best regards,
Doug Pratt

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com