Voltage drop musings [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot telliot at wagonmaker.com
Wed May 2 10:41:42 PDT 2001

Hugh,

Two things, I have a Solar Boost, so extra voltage becomes increased current
to the batteries, and I have monitored my input, Solar Boost or not, for
years and pretty consistently seen more current flow in the winter than in
the summer.  Our summer air is more opaque than our winter air (I'm at
9000') and the light intensity is often greater in winter, especially with
the added reflection from snowcover (which I believe I mentioned).

Also, consider that in a site with good southern exposure the angle of
incidence of sunlight to panels in winter is better sunrise to sunset, than
it is in summer when the sun rises north of east and a good angle of
incidence isn't reached until mid morning (absent tracking, of course).  Our
current flow in winter right after sunrise is quite a bit more than it is in
summer after sunrise.

Tom Elliot

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com