Voltage drop musings [RE-wrenches]

hugh piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Tue May 1 23:23:44 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
At 5:25 pm -0600 1/5/01, Tom Elliot wrote:
>  I've seen my highest current flow on the shortest
>day of the year after a heavy snow, with cold temps, clear skies, and lots
>of reflected light from snowcover.

but...
At 12:28 pm -0700 19/2/01, John Wiles wrote:
>PV module current is mainly a function of light intensity and only a
>very slight function of temperature--it increases very slightly as the
>temperatures increase

I'm not a solar power person (although I have 500Wp on my roof) so I
am confused.  Is it the extra voltage from cold weather giving you
your extra current?

I would doubt if 1% volt drop is a cost-effective target for volt
drop in many cases.  The actual loss of current into the battery will
be much less than 1%.  The overall % energy loss will be considerably
less still, considering how often you will be getting below peak
power.
--
Hugh

down in Birmingham for a seminar about alternators.
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm