grid tie utility metering requirements [RE-wrenches]

rabrooks ra.brooks at gte.net
Thu Apr 26 11:05:56 PDT 2001

Todd,

As a "newbie" to the RE Wrenches list, I'll give you this info off-list.

Here in central WA, Chelan County PUD is very progressive toward renewable
energy.  They are currently implementing a "Green Power" program which will
pay PV, wind, and I'm working on them for micro-hydro, producers $.25 to
$.30 per kwh for energy produced.  This is 10 times more than our
residential energy rates of $.028 per kwh! (Columbia River hydro power)

They require a production meter (which the PUD provides) separate from the
consumption meter, but at these rates a $30 meter base is worth it!  They do
require a lockable disconnect which, as discussed on the Wrenches list, is
redundent and of no practical use.  But I'm not about to quibble given the
overall program.

They also have extended their energy conservation loan program to include
solar hot water, PV, wind, and micro-hydro systems.  Customers can borrow
money for these system installations from the PUD at relatively low interest
(I recall 11% mentioned.)

I've heard no mention of a charge for connection, although the Green Power
program is just getting started - the first system will be a wind/PV one on
our house.

Given the energy situation in CA, the utilities should be tripping over
themselves to get RE systems grid connected!

Good luck,

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
140 Columbia View