grid tie utility metering requirements [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Thu May 3 15:15:21 PDT 2001

Has anyone else run into this problem with PacifiCorp?  I am dealing with the
higher ups at PacifiCorp as they are involved in large wind energy projects. I
am the incoming American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) President and
we want to make sure the utilities are not erecting market barriers to net
metering where there should not be any.

Any specifics on your experiences would be helpful. Todd, could you
elaborate on the details of the $500. meter.

On 25 Apr 01, at 16:46, Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar wrote:
> Hi wrenches,
>
> I am currently preparing to dispute our local utilities (PacifiCorp)
> requirements for grid tied RE systems. At present they charge $500.00 as
> they claim that is the cost for the special digital meter they have
> determined is necessary for grid ties. I believe since it is net
> metering, no special monitoring of buy and sell power totals should be
> necessary and if they want to track those, then they should be the ones
> to foot the bill for the equipment.
>
> I am curious if wenches can share with me what other utilities in CA
> (and the rest of the country) are mandating for
> intertie meter changes and associated charges. When I contact the PP&L
> engineer I want to be informed of what the norm is.

David Blittersdorf
NRG Systems, Inc.
110 Commerce Street
Hinesburg, VT 05461 USA