Gray Flex [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Sun Apr 22 13:34:13 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Bill and Wrenches,

Many air conditioners do experience both hot and wet conditions.  Central
air conditioning units are located outside, with the conduits often in full
sun.  They carry the most current, for the longest periods of time, exactly
when it is the hottest.

Air conditioning compressors, as well as compressors for commercial
refrigeration units are often mounted on flat roofs.  These are often black
tar roofs that get very hot in the midday sun.

Flexible conduits are mounted to units that pump heat from one space, and
release it in the unit.  Additional heat is generated by the motors.

Conduits on the back of PV modules are shaded by the module.  PV modules
are not heat concentrators or collectors.  They produce no mechanical heat.

Requiring conduits to be rated for 80 degrees C wet seems extreme.  If you
have hot conditions, you will not have wet conditions.  80 degrees C  is
176 degrees F!

60 degrees C is 140 degrees F.  Water will dry up fast under these
conditions.  I know of no place on the surface of the planet that will
generate 140 degree F  temperatures under wet conditions, with the possible
exception of geothermal zones.

May be with continued global warming we will see these conditions.  If we
do, we will have more to worry about than damaged conduits.

Drake

 RE-wrenches at topica.com

Archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: