Trace TM500 [RE-wrenches]

Chuck Heath, SunPower sunpwr at jps.net
Tue Apr 10 16:55:47 PDT 2001

William Miller asked:
> Has anyone on this list researched
>how far one can locate a TM 500 from the shunt and batteries?

I have one where the meter and shunt are 350 ft. apart. I cut the TR500
cable at a junction box about 15 ft. from the shunt, installed a
screw-type terminal strip, and made the long run using #16 AWG (signal)
and #14 AWG (power) to another junction box at the house end, and
connected to the other end of the TR cable. Works fine.

Since the TR cable wire is so small, I stripped double the normal length
to fold-back each wire, doubling the thickness of the wire entering the
term strip.

Installation note: be careful of the shunt orientation. Otherwise you may
have difficulty getting past the 4/0 cables to plug in the RJ-11 cable.

I've done the same with the TriMetric (which licensed their circuitry to
Trace) over distances of 400+ feet. No problems.

Cordially, Chuck

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com