Trace TM500 [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Mon Apr 9 18:06:37 PDT 2001

	Wiliam;

	While I'm not intimately familiar with the TM500, I may be able to give
you some advice about extending the cables.
	As Scott at Backwoods said, the conductors need to be increased in gauge
to keep the voltage loss to a minimum.
	Dealing with the modular connectors isn't so hard. Consider using standard
three or four-pair telephone station wire, or Category 5 network cable
(it's also available shielded). If you are running it through ceilings,
inside walls, etc, be sure that it is plenum rated. If you are running it
inside conduit along with current carrying conductors, it will have to have
insulation voltage ratings equal to or exceeding the rating of the current
conductors.
	Installing modular connectors on the ends of these cables does require a
special (low cost) crimp tool. If you are purchasing connectors for solid
wire BE SURE to ask for solid wire connectors, the regular kind made for
stranded telephone instrument cable will not make reliable connection on a
solid conductor.
	Configuring the conductors on the modular cable can be a bit tricky.
You'll need to observe both ends of the factory cable, and duplicate that
arrangement exactly, using whatever combinations of colors your longer
cable offers. Remember that the factory cable may not be wired the same on
both ends, it could be a "cross-over" cable, a "straight" cable, or
something even more bizarre that Trace dreamed up to make your job more
interesting.
	Obviously, if you are planning of a 1,000 run, the 12 gauge G1 connection
isn't going to crimp into the modular connector, so you'll have some kind
of terminating splice to get into the RJ-11 (or whatever).
	If this helps, you're welcome, it if doesn't, I have some Y2K executable
joke files I could send the list as an attachment...

	-S

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com