approved disconnects [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Wed Apr 4 14:41:45 PDT 2001

Hi all,

I would like to ask the "big picture" question again.

Does anyone have a documented disconnect being locked out by a
linesperson?

In Vermont, a utility person said that they don't know where systems (and
disconnects) are located and don't use them because they ground BOTH
ends of the line segment they are working on. Another utility only grounds
ONE end of distribution lines "because it saves time".

We had a major ice storm a few years ago and not one disconnect was used
as crews rebuild all the downed lines.

David

On 4 Apr 01, at 17:15, Bill Brooks wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> I fully understand your frustration, but ranting will not work on this
> issue. The reason they will almost never use this switch is because the work has
> to occur on a section of their line that has no switches between their work area
> and your PV system. It is very rare that much line work is required in a
> subdivision once the electrical system has been installed, therefore, it is very
> rare that this switch will ever be used.
>
> Once a lineworker establishes a work clearance, it doesn't matter if there
> are 10,000 PV systems on the other side of their sectionalizing switch, they can
> proceed.

David Blittersdorf
NRG Systems, Inc.
110 Commerce Street