approved disconnects [RE-wrenches]

mmangelsdorf at hei.com mmangelsdorf at hei.com
Wed Apr 4 11:37:06 PDT 2001

Wrenches:

PG&E is NOT the only utility requiring a lockable disconnect.  All the
utilities here in beautiful Hawai'i require them as well.  Now, if you were
a utility lineman/woman, would you trust your life to the anti-islanding
feature in a Trace SW or ST?  Come on now, putting in such a disconnect is
not that big of a deal.  Turn off the power for the whole house?  Come
on....Take out the meter as a way of disconnecting from the grid when work
is being done on lines?  Come on....Put in the darned lockable disconnect.
They usually cost less than $100, some wire and conduit.  Let's pick and
choose our battles with the utilities rather than moan about very reasonable
requirements such as the lockable disconnect.

marco
proVision technologies
Hilo, Hawai'i

William Miller wrote:

> My experience has been that PG&E requires a disconnect with an external
> handle so it is visible without opening the cover, and it must be adjacent
> to the meter.  I did talk PG&E into approving a disconnect about 8 feet
> away from a meter on condition there be a plaque adjacent to the meter
> indicating the location of the disconnect.

PG&E is the ONLY utility that has been requiring a lockable disconnect, and
even then, my experience has been that it depends on the area and the PG&E
representative. I've participated on several jobs in Northern California
where
they never asked for a disconnect, and were perfectly happy to let us turn
the
system on without it. One job had a 7 kw array! If they don't ask...don't
offer!
-Doug Pratt

- - -
To send a message: