approved disconnects [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Tue Apr 3 23:19:43 PDT 2001

We've also used the air conditioing type pull out disconnect switches. We
didn't ask permission, we just installed one on a job to see if they
complained. They didn't, so now we consider them "accepted" although they
do not have the visible lever. (We would argue that the pull out can be
locked ont the handle, creating a visible signal.) Plus, it was recommended
to us by none other than John Wiles.

This unit is about $14, but we still need to get wire to and from it. We
typically just bring the hot leg out, unless we're passing by that spot
anyway. This lets us use a piece of 6/2 (or 6/3) romex, sleeved in conduit
for the outside piece. Or SE wire, but that seems like overkill for 60
amps.

We don't see the devices used, except when the utility comes out to do
their "test" (operate the handle several times, never look inside). Our is
behind an impenetrable snow bank right now (it's next to the meter, which
is also behind the snow bank.) Haivng just had three extended outages, w
e're pretty sure they're never going to check it. Pretty much a waste of
money. Either that or all the union electricians are following unsafe work
practices. I guess I'll need to file a complaint with our Public Service
Board.

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Vermont Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 51
Strafford, VT 05072
802/765-4632