Combiner box alternate solutions [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at positivenergy.com
Thu Mar 29 08:09:26 PST 2001

The applications engineer that I talked to at Cooper Bussmann stated that
there is no UL Listed 1/4" fuse, only UL Recognized--a subtle but critical
difference.

Incidentally, for array combiners I see no reason the fuse must be touch
safe, it only must be able to be disconnected from All sources of power
before service.  Technically, the code allows covering the panels to serve
as depowering the array, and throwing the charge controller breaker
disconnects any potential from the opposite direction.  I explored the
touchsafe avenue just searching for a low cost DC current-limiting
disconnect that might be finagled into better safety on smaller or retrofit
situations.

Phil Undercuffler
Positive Energy