X-10 Hardware flameout [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Wed Mar 28 08:30:55 PST 2001

Jeff Yago wrote:

> don't even think of using a modified sine wave inverter to
> power any home using these devices in the wiring.  We saw one system
> actually set two different X-10 motion controlled outdoor lights on
> fire, charred the fixture insides just minutes after hookup.  On
> inspection we also found all installed X-10 type wall switches to
> actually be hot to the touch through the plastic paddle swith cover,
> even though there were no lighting fixtures turned on.

Hey Jeff -- This is serious.  Based on what you have said, I would not
use a Trace SW on a home with X-10 devices either.  One of the failures
seen on the SW's results in them still sorta working, but as a modified
sine/square wave inverter.  I just came across one of these myself.  So
if what you are saying is true, and one of the stages in the Trace
fails, the house burns down.  We all better pay attention to the other
sting of conversations taking place on smoke detectors.  Kurt Nelson

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: