X-10 Hardware flameout [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at erols.com
Tue Mar 27 20:04:43 PST 2001

We are starting to see more X-10 type automation controls added to
inverter powered homes as part of energy reduction control.  You know
the type that a remote timer sends a control signal of a letter and
number combination to other X-10 type wall switches, outlets, and
motion sensor outdoor lights just when the 60 cycle voltage passes the
zero point to.

Anyway, don't even think of using a midified sine wave inverter to
power any home using these devices in the wiring.  We saw one system
actually set two different X-10 motion controlled outdoor lights on
fire, charred the fixture insides just minutes after hookup.  On
inspection we also found all installed X-10 type wall switches to
actually be hot to the touch through the plastic paddle swith cover,
even though there were no lighting fixtures turned on.  And the X-10
dimmer switches go "nuts" on modified sinewave inverters.

We talked to a design engineer with manufacturer and they had no
answer or fix.  They also didn't know what I was talking about related
to non grid powered systems!

When we changed out the Trace 2524 with a Trace 4 Kw sinewave
inverter, all problems went away and no fires or smoke.

Also note that the $45.00 priced X-10 devices have rocker switch
relays inside that hold last position during loss of power, and
"cheap" $10.00 X-10 devices from Radio Shack or Lowes use electronic
switch that goes to closed position after any loss of power making all
lights in house switch on every time inverter switches to generator or
grid!  Thats a real energy savings when everyone's not home!

Jeff Yago

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: