Lightning damage from LIGHT flash on PV [RE-wrenches]

Mark Downing solarman4 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 11:32:45 PST 2001

Windy,

I would say it's the induced voltage spike on the
lead-in from the PV doing the damage, not the light.
A low voltage MOV (~24V for a 12V system) at the panel
will take care of this.  Applied Power used to call
them "SAM-1"s.

Mark, HAP

--- "Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar"
<windy at dankoffsolar.com> wrote:
> Another wrench with 20 years experience was just
> visiting. He says that he sees damage come power
> surge from the PV array generated by
> the bright flash of LIGHT from nearby lightning. The
> batteries can't  soak up the spike fast enough to
> clamp the voltage.  Grounding doesn't
> help. + to - voltage clamping is what helps.
>
> I never thought of lightning being brighter than
> sunlight. Any comments?
>
> Windy

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

To send a message: