3 phase inverters [RE-wrenches]

Charlie Robb, Element Engineering element.eng at quista.net
Sat Mar 3 02:38:53 PST 2001

Todd,

I'd say it would be far cheaper, simpler and more reliable to change the
motor to single phase and install a normal single phase standby
battery/inverter system.

You might well be able to get a single phase motor in the same frame size,
or at least to fit the same mounts, and they cost next to nothing at that
size. The frame and shaft sizes are standard, so check the nameplate on the
motor and have a look through a motor manufacturer's catalogue. The
catalogue will include dimension drawings. I buy new ABB motors - have a
look at www.abb.com/motors - or if I want a bargain for a generator I go to
my local scrapyard and take my pick of a wide selection.

Check that your Kohler is OK for the unbalanced load if you still want to be
able to direct connect the single phase motor. Presumably you would always
power the motor via the inverter though, and set up the Gen Amps to suit the
generator (plus an appropriate Low Battery Gen Start DC Voltage).

Drop me a line if you get stuck with the machinery & I'll be glad to help.

Charlie

Charlie Robb
Element Engineering

77 Society Road
South Queensferry
Edinburgh
EH30 9XP      UK

Tel: 0131 331 5835
Fax: 0131 331 5848
Mobile: 07887 991866

"Disclaimer:

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain
information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this e-mail.  If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this
e-mail."

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: