Placement of lightning rods [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot telliot at wagonmaker.com
Thu Mar 1 10:46:28 PST 2001

My 2 cents worth on this subject.

I don't have the engineering or technical background in lightning systems
but the system we have on our house was sold to us as both one which could
withstand a strike (along with an SOV) and which would dissipate build-up of
charge in the home.  The system has multiple electrodes (5 total) on the
roof and roof-mounted array and multiple ground rods all bonded together and
to our electrical system.

We live on a hilltop in the Colorado mountains.  Powerlines in the valley
below us and trees around and below us have been hit repeatedly yet we have
suffered no direct strikes or indirect damage in 6 years.  As was stated in
the original post, Colorado is a very lightning prone area of the country
and we were quite conscious of it when we built and have been delighted with
the system so far.

I'm with Sparks on this one.

Tom Elliot

To send a message: