Manufacturers on the List [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Wed Feb 28 07:00:16 PST 2001

Dear Wrenches:

As a manufacturer's rep I wanted to chime in here.
I debated about making a post because I don't want to inflame the situation
but I do want to share my perspective.

First and foremost I think it is very valuable to have a direct feedback
channel between wrenches and manufacturers.
Obviously it is in the interest of any manufacturer to watch the list for
problems and, hopefully, the occasional bit of praise.
Just watching the list (lurking) does not require membership though.
My biggest concern is that lurking is a uni directional function and really
doesn't close the loop.

One solution proposed is for the manufacturer to respond to someone off line
and then have the wrench post it to the list.
I don't think this is a good idea because the information flow slows down
and there is more possibility for confusion.
Cut and paste or forwarding works pretty well but things can be taken out of
context and develop different meanings.
This is not to say that it is intentional but we all know it happens - I
thought he said that she said...

I would like to have the opportunity to respond directly to the list so we
can have an open dialog in the full light of day.
If a thread starts moving into an inappropriate area then, as a responsible
member of the list, I can always take it off line to interested parties.

I think there are a number of people out there who have a great deal of
experience and technical knowledge.
It would be a shame to exclude these people simply because they are now
working for a manufacturer.
What about a wrench who has been a productive member of the list and then
for some reason decides to work for a manufacturer.
Does this person's contribution immediately become invalid just because they
changed employment ?

I think the guidelines laid out for manufacturers on the list seem very
reasonable.
The discussion should be kept technical, informative, and as unbiased as
possible.
In my short time on the list there have been many times I have wanted to
jump in but can't given my position.
As a manufacturer's rep I have to impose more strict limits on my behavior
than a normal member lest I be seen as crossing the line into marketing hype
or competitor bashing.

Limiting participation to a single point of contact also seems like a good
idea.
That person can then be a conduit to all the other people in the
organization.

My behavior on the list should be judged just like any other member and
Michael should step in if I get out of line.
The list is by and for the wrenches and that group alone must decide what is
appropriate and inappropriate behavior.

Thank you for the opportunity to contribute.

Best regards,

John Berdner

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com