Manufacturers on the List [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positivenergy.com
Tue Feb 27 21:56:55 PST 2001

    I tend to trust people until proven untrustworthy, and distrust
corporations until they prove themselves trustworthy--sometimes over and
over, and I still hang skeptical.   So it is with Pagan Mackay, Trace, and
manufacturers in general.  I was at the Xantrex feedback meeting too, and
yes, it was orchestrated, but it was also legitimate--they listened
carefully.  Pagan was introduced to us as "the dealer support person" whose
job was to deal with the problems discussed here. OK, seems like a nice
person, grew up on PV, we'll see what she can do.
    So I have ranted here about Trace, Solarex, SWWP, and others, but I have
kinda kept my mouth shut about Trace since that meeting. Several times I
sent private e-mails to Pagan saying "check the wrenches list--the lack of
response from Trace to legitimate gripes is deafening. We wrenches need
straight answers.".  I didn't realize until this thread that she/they
couldn't respond here.
    So, my opinion:
1). One rep from a manufacturer is allowed to post responses (only!) that
are directly relevant to current or recent past topic threads, where the
manufacturer's product is a subject of the thread. In Trace's case (and
maybe any of the biggies in principle), I suggest Pagan rather than Ezra,
who's often away: quicker, more direct response. As this discussion medium
is entirely written, she doesn't have to know all the answers; any technical
info that is beyond her can be supplied by appropriate engineers/techies
through her. Her job, then, is to see that dealer/wrench stuff gets a
prompt, accurate, no BS response.  The response doesn't have to be written
by her--or any one person. Remember that we wrenches are "the buck stops
here" types, able to give good answers to 95% of the questions sent our way.
No one person at Trace knows all the answers.  Insisting on one techie is a
false ideal. Who's it gonna be--Tony? He's hard enough to reach.  The people
that can provide the best answers are too busy.
2) No official press releases, marketing stuff, or spin control.
3) Michael remains gatekeeper.  He's keeping us all honest.
4) We have already proven that we collectively don't tolerate BS on this
list. Let's give ourselves credit for having created a highly effective and
influential forum. Set the rules, then let's not worry too much. There's a
highly effective self-policing mechanism going on here, and nobody's going
to spin us for long and get away with it.

In short, I more or less side with Bob Maynard, Sparky, Richard, Tom Elliot,
Jay, and Steve Willey. I consider it an honor to be considered a wrench.
Thanks, all.
Allan @PosEn

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com