becoming an inter-tie system [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Thu Feb 22 19:06:19 PST 2001

<x-flowed>Hi Jay,

I don't know the logic of the NEC on this, or if there is any.  It might be
that people sleep in dwellings, but solar arrays generally aren't putting
out power when most people sleep, assuming they sleep at night.

Unfortunately the EMT doesn't give us any immunity from the ground fault
protection requirement.

I think independent testing is needed on this issue.  If the results are as
we suspect, we could petition for a code change.  I think the problem is
that the rules are not made by Wrenches.  We need to become part of the
process if we want realistic regulations.

Sincerely,

Drake

At 05:42 PM 02/22/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Drake,
>
>Now thats amazing.  Commercial buildings don't need a GFI?  I know, I know
>but I
>don't get that logic?  If the GFI is needed then why not commercial?  Is
>it because
>of the EMT?
>
>thanks,
>
>jay
>
>Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy wrote:
>
> > Hi Jay,
> >
> > I agree that with high voltage systems, extra safety precautions should be
> > taken.  Metal conduit would certainly be a good precaution.
> >
> > On a job I did for Public Service Company of Colorado several years ago,
> > the 450 volt, 18 KW system was protected by EMT.  It was a commercial
> > building rather than a residence, so no ground fault protection was
> required.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Drake ,
> >
> > At 04:47 PM 02/21/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> > >Hi Drake,
> > >
> > >Thanks for the update.  I bet though that we will see more HI voltage
> systems
> > >200v+ and what do you say to the GFI then?  Also with the GFI's built into
> > >most of
> > >the batteryless inverters its not too much of a problem.
> > >
> > >But for battery based, yep its a problem.    How about " if wiring is
> in metal
> > >conduit from roof to controls then no GFI is needed?  sounds good to me?
> > >
> > >later,
> > >
> > >jay
> > >peltz power

> the array