becoming an inter-tie system [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Thu Feb 22 08:14:26 PST 2001

<x-flowed>William,
I understand your concern and share it, but I refuse to be blindly
lead along by the nose. I also refuse to add to the cost of an
already expensive installation unless it adds a proven reasonable
safety factor.
With standard house voltage, GFIs are required only in potentially
wet areas (bathrooms, kitchens, outside areas, etc, where a greater
possibility of electrocution exists. Think about it, if GFIs were
proven to prevent fire, the NEC would require them on EVERY circuit
of the house. It's just yet another case of the NECs refusal or lack
of knowledge of the difference between very low voltage and what they
define as low voltage (<600V) systems. RE is held to a higher
standard then most of the other technologies. I blame J. Wiles and
his recycled military/industrial/nuclear cronies at SANDIA for at
least some of that, ignorance for the rest. Whether Mr. Wiles, etal,
are acting above their knowledge and experience but in good faith or
through some other influences is the question, isn't it?
Bob-O

>Pals:
>
>Could the GFI be required to protect from fire hazard as well as, or
>instead of, electrocution?  I try not to second guess Code requirements
>unless I have some pretty substantial knowledge base, and I believe talking
>a client out of a required device could be a liability nightmare.
>
>William

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: