Beating a surging horse/ trace sw 5548 [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Jan 29 05:05:51 PST 2001

I have to agree with you Bob.  I have a lot of dual 4048 set ups in the
field and I have tried to get them to shut down and can't.  I mean I really
abuse them.  You have all heard what I do before but in case the new folks
haven't I turn everything in the house on then I start adding resistive
loads (that I keep on my service trucks) until I am past the 33 amps cont.
rating of the 4048's then turn the water on an get the well pump to kick on.
I take all of my systems to a max worst case scenario while I am there so
there is no surprises after I leave.

If you really need a lot of surge power you migh be better off with a dual
PS set up than a single 5548 plus you get the benefits of 240 in and out
which solves a lot of other probelems.  Trace has bounced around on the
official numbers but I have heard that the PS can really surge.  My
understanding of the 5548 is that it was designed for large grid tied
systems and they added all that copper to get the sell efficiency a little
higher.  Once all of that copper gets heated up it can't cool down as fast
as an inverter with less copper.

Travis