Trace wish list [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Wed Jan 17 09:15:38 PST 2001

OK, it is pretty amazing that this item is the only sticking point on that long list. Wrenches, we need to decide whether or not to add this point to the list.

Which side should we err on? Do we err on the safe side by assuming the batts are gels, or do we err on the other safe side and assume that batts are flooded? Either way can result in compromised batteries.

William Miller wrote at 06:21 PM 01/16/2001 -0800:

> >>In regards to the lower charge settings to protect gel cell batteries, I
> >>disagree.  There are so many more flooded cell batteries out there in SW
> >>based systems (for good reasons) that defaulting to a lower voltage will
> >>likely cause a larger number of flooded batteries to make an early trip
> >>to the recycling bin.  14.4 is too low for most applications -- Kurt
> >>Nelson
> >
> >That makes sense to me, item requesting lower charge settings for gel batts is removed.
>

>Fiends:
>
>Regarding the above:  The default bulk and EQ settings are 14.4.  My request is to make the defaults 14.1 (all of these figures per 12 volts of nominal system voltage).  I asked Trace why a default of 14.4 for EQ and they said it was to protect batteries if accidentally set to EQ.  This scenario does not seem too likely.
>
>I think a set of gel batteries will be damaged promptly if reset to 14.4 while a set of flooded batteries will not be damaged for some time at 14.1.  Therefore, I still support 14.1 for bulk and EQ.
>
>All of the above is inconsequential when compared to the need for non-volatile memory, in which case, this issue is less important.  We should not forget, however, that a reset to defaults can happen, and should happen on occasion, via the front panel controls.
>
>Consider this scenario:  You have a remote client with a wacked out inverter and it needs to be reset, but you can't get there for two days. I imagine you would be more comfortable asking them to reset an inverter themselves if you knew there would be no possible battery damage that could happen in the short term.  (This reset is pending your arrival to ascertain the full situation).

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."

			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
      Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
      (Not HP mag's #s) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

To unsubscribe send a message to: