Belize panels-the Real skinny [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Mon Jan 15 19:07:06 PST 2001

> On Monday, January 15, 2001 2:10 PM, Bob Ellison, Alternative Energy
> Systems [SMTP:ellison at gisco.net] wrote:
> > Make's you wonder what RG paid for them now.

Wrenches,
  Don't wonder. We paid $1/watt.  We discussed simply selling them "as is",
along with a new J-box, but decided we'd be letting ourselves in for too many
customer service problems.  As you folks have pointed out, j-boxes aren't
exactly a bolt-in replacement.  We'll hire some pros with the right tools, or
make some.  There's likely to be less losses with experience.  Retail price
isn't set yet, but they'll be a bargain...IF you can ignore the fact there's no
long term warranty whatsoever.  Those of us in the industry know that's not
much of a risk with Siemens, I ...ahem... have noticed there seems to be no
lack of volunteers on this list.  I heard the figure $199 being suggested
today, but until we see what transport and repair costs, we're just guessing.
It might be less, it's hard to imagine it being more however.

  Someone suggested that "hundreds were broken in shipping".  I don't believe
that's true.  According to the actual count from Siemens in Orlando, there's
571 first-class modules that Siemens will warranty, and 514 they won't
warranty.  There are a couple hundred that the resort decided to hang onto.
Some of the mounting arrays survived, and they're going to keep them
functional.  The project started out at 101 kilowatts, or about 1350 modules.
That only leaves about 65 for hurricane trashing, bad packing, or careless
shipping.

Best regards,
Doug Pratt
Real Goods Technical Editor