SW workround update [RE-wrenches]

allan at positivenergy.com allan at positivenergy.com
Fri Jan 12 11:06:11 PST 2001

Kurt,
Two very quick responses,
All APC/Pulse Powercenters use 60A mercury contactors, most with 24V DC
coils.  I believe they will work at the low amperage end of your request.
If you want to go that way and can't find any let me know, I think we have
a couple pulled out of Powercenters when we added SB50s.
For the bonding/two transformer question, it seems to me that's a perfect
request for John Wiles.  He's paid to do this kinda stuff, loves it, knows
it, and has earned my (grudging) respect. He's at 505 646-6105, I think.
Allan @+E;)
> Update...
>
> Hey Wrenches.  Not looking to revisit certain aspects of this, but a
> question or two for the group.  Almost two months ago I complete the
> "work around" of the SW inefficiency that we/me/Sharkey were
> discussing.  You remember, the contactor in-line on AC1, timer and AUX
> relay deal?  It has been working perfectly.  Disconnects AC1 every night
> and reconnects after battery is up to snuff the next solar day (thanks
> for your help Sharkey).  Unfortunately I don't have much info (data) yet
> because immediately after installing the gear and programming the
> inverter, WI entered into the cloudiest November since 1962, and
> December wasn't much better.
>
> I am going to make a similar "adjustment" to a system on the other side
> of the State.  This is slightly different...
>
> First, it has much heavier loads, being a Y2K system.  My question is
> about transferring loads that may(?) be out of phase.  The entire system
> is out in a pole building away from the home (home turf surrounded by
> mature Oaks).  The grid-tie is in this building.  I'm feeding 120vac
> from there to the home, which has a seperate utility transformer from
> the transformer feeding the pole-barn, though they are both on the same
> main feed of the passing utility line.  I want to place a double throw
> contactor in the home that would switch the home loads sub-panel from
> the utility to the inverter in the even of a utility power outtage, but
> otherwise leaving the loads off the Trace (too big a home load to work
> out with the work-round).  Is there a problem switching 120vac (single
> inverter) loads with bonded common and ground if we are essentially
> switching the source between two seperate transformers?  I currently
> have one circuit in the house set up as such a transfer (to reduce the
> normal use load on the inverter/grid-tie), but I am switching both the
> hot and the common on this circuit (2P2T power relay), and it has mostly
> resistive loads (ground IS bonded).  Is it necessary to switch both in
> this instance, or would switching just the hot work out?
>
> Question 2?  I still can't find a good supplier for 24VDC contactors in
> the 60-100 amp range.  What is Trace using for their 60 amp, an open
> framed power relay, or a contactor?  Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks -- Kurt Nelson
>
>  The inverter (and its battery) well essentially be connected to the
> grid, period.

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: