UniRac [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Thu Jan 11 20:16:00 PST 2001

Kurt Nelson, SunWise wrote:
> jay peltz wrote:
> >
>  I agree that I don't like roof installs....
>
> I haven't done a roof mount for a long time.  Used to do em.  Seems like
> the main thing is to really get it connected to the roof.  You can't
> just lag bolt, you have to thru-bolt them with threaded rod down to a
> spanning member (doug fir, not SPF) attached to the underside of the
> rafters/trusses.  Then, with no flex/movement, things can get sealed up
> pretty good.
> That said, pole mounts seem like the only way to go now.  Problem is
> they don't go high enough (bout eight feet).  I've done pole mount/roof
> hybrid, where-in the too tall mast gets additional support as it passes
> by the eve.
>
> Two thoughts for UniRac.
>
> 1) Design a pole mount with a "mast" that can go much higher.  Maybe a
> three leg tower type design (or guyed???) but something that can get the
> PV's up at/above roof-top level, and allow access to any competent
> individual with a climbing belt (incorporated ladder).  Maybe a
> tilt-up!?
>
> 2) Attempt to counter the "million solar roofs" mentality.  Every day I
> hear people talking about the need for more "solar roofs".  In fact I
> even hear myself saying things like "we need to install these
> technollogies on every house in America".   Customers think they want
> PV's on their roof.
>   Same with Solar Thermal.  I'm seeing (an installing) more ground based
> solar thermal arrays as well, such as the "in-slab" hrdronic system Bob
> Ramlow installed at the MREA's Renew the Earth Institute.
>
> Go fourth and plant Solar firmly in the earth -- Kurt Nelson

I'm beginning to see something of a consensus here.  Another story comes
to mind....  About fifteen years ago hereabouts a local company began
marketing tracking solar concentrators for DHW.  Concentrators in the
Great Lakes region don't make a lot of sense in the first place, but
that's not the point of the story here.  Many of these are still in
place but few are working.  Many have been removed over the years either
by original owners or new owners, usually for operational failure.  But
many people just simply don't want this shit on their roofs.  In fact,
home sale is adversely affected in many cases where this stuff is
perched up top there.  Aside from solar devotees, most people just want
a nice looking house - like you see in Better Homes and Gardens.  I know
of people who had functional trackers on their roofs when their home
went up for sale but no one would buy the house UNLESS it came off.
Period.  So, off it came.  That meant a new roof or a patched roof.  I
had a fellow just the other day call me about fixing his DHW roof mount
tracker.  He bought his house with the thing up there not working.  Now
he feels he should at least make it work - or do something about it.  I
still say roof mounts are generally problematic for a variety of reasons
unless they are well integrated aesthetically in new construction.  Home
resale values can be adversely affected in many cases.  People don't
always consider this reality.

So, I think we need to look into other, more creative alternatives.
Pole mounts have their place as do ground mounts.  Maybe it makes sense
to investigate variations in these free standing methodologies
where they can work.  Higher poles, however, run into urban and suburban
zoning problems just like wind turbine towers do.  And, of course, the
higher the pole, the bigger the tube must be.  Maybe you could justify a
telescoping tube, hand cranked or hydraulic.  In severe winds you could
just collapse the thing for protective deployment.  More money perhaps,
but maybe it might save money in other respects.  Being able to lower
the thing also makes maintenance easier - and safer.  Some new options
are needed to open up more opportunites.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
Business Email: JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com
Direct Email: grail at inil.com