Step up/down transformer help needed [RE-wrenches]

allan at positivenergy.com allan at positivenergy.com
Wed Jan 3 16:45:35 PST 2001

Don is right.  The Photron only works with generators with no internal
bond, and I got this from Larry Jennings some years ago.  He recommended a
standard stepdown transformer from Grainger for an application where
someone could inadvertently hook up a portable generator to this unit.
Allan at Pos E

> In a message dated 01/01/2001 6:34:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> creuter at rocketmail.com writes:
>

> > I have an old 4000 watt T-former that Photron put out and it was
installed
> > with a Trace 4024 to provide 220volts for a well pump until I ended up
> > stacking inverters. I now wish to use it  off the 220v out put from a
Honda
> > generator to do a step-down before it feeds a single inverter. The
original
> > step up was a simple install in which the t-former had a common in-out
> > neutral and a 110v hot input and a single 220v output( 3-wire
autoformer)
> > But to go the other direction how the heck do I wire it? If one wire is
> > neutral and one is input and the other output how am I tying to the
plug
> > off the genny? I dont have any literature except a info sheet that said
it
> > can work either way  and as some of you know Photron  went belly up and
> > believe Lawrence Jennings was exiled to Siberia or some such fate.
Carl
> > Reuter
> >

> There is a problem here. I'm not real comfortable with this but one way
> around this is to isolate the genset neutral. One side the xfrm output
will
> be the neutral on the 120 side. On second thought, I think this is a bad
> idea. There is potential for serious trouble- for instance on many gennys
the
> neut is internally bonded to ground. I recall grapling with this with
another
> Photron auto former.
>
> Don
>
> - - - - - - -
> To send a message:
>  RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
> The archive of previous messages:
>  http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
> To unsubscribe send a message to:
>
> To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
>  www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
> Hosted by Home Power magazine:
>  www.homepower.com
>
> For info contact list moderator by email:
>  michael.welch at homepower.com

> T O P I C A  http://www.topica.com/t/17
> Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Your Favorite Topics

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

 michael.welch at homepower.com