PV Installer Certification Program [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 17 09:51:53 PST 2001

Don and all grid-connecting wrenches,

It would be nice to blame this one on the evil utility folks, but that
unfortunately is inaccurate and misinformation. It was caused by two
factors; (1) a somewhat ambiguous UL test procedure that allowed for some
misinterpretation of how the test should be performed, and (2) a feeling
among some folks at Trace that the test, as prescribed by Sandia, was overly
restrictive and singled out the SW and its design architecture.

Although I think these two factors provide a reason why this happened, it is
clear that neither factor is an adequate excuse for what happened. All other
utility-interconnected UL-listed equipment (post-Nov-2000) is fully
compliant with the test, and the SW has exhibited that it can pass the test
with some fairly straightforward upgrades. This suggests that the test is
NOT overly restrictive, but, as Rob Wills points out, requires some
additional thought and programming (that all currently manufactured models
are capable of--including the Xantrex ST).

Incidentally, this whole thing started not because of a concern of
anti-islanding at all. It started because a competitor to Xantrex complained
that the SW current harmonics were outside the limits of the harmonic
limitations set forth in IEEE 519. The competitor was not privy to the
shortcomings of the anti-islanding until testing was done at Sandia that
showed that flaw.

This "turning in of competitors" happens to be one key way that the industry
polices itself. Now that the sensitivities have been raised on these issues,
the ambiguities have been dealt with and now everyone knows how they will be
judged in the future. It is all part of the growth and maturity of the
industry and shows some of the benefit of having competitive products.

The biggest concern I have had all along is the repercussions with utility
companies and inspectors. Whether you love'em or hate'em, they are the last
word. We had them pretty well convinced that the process was sufficient
(UL-listing for utility-interactivity), but this has opened the door for a
lack of trust. Many utilities have continued to show forbearance by allowing
these systems to continue operating while Xantrex and UL work on fully
defining the issues involved. This is a huge example of the fact that not
all utilities are the enemy. Many of these folks are a lot less ornery than
some wrenches.

Since so many wrenches claim to be liberal, open-minded, intelligent
people--and I believe this to be the case--it is high time to lay aside the
complete distrust of all utility companies and utility personnel and realize
that, just like anything, some are bastards--but many are fine, reasonable
people that are trying to act in the best interest of public safety. For
those wrenches that can't bear to come to this conclusion--keep your systems
off the utility system. The venom that spewed by the hyper-antiutility folks
instills and confirms the worst fears of the most restrictive utilities
giving them ammunition to twist the arms of the more moderate utilities.

Those hyper-antiutility people are simply playing into the hands of those in
the utility industry that truly want to see Solar Energy fail. Consider your
rhetoric and actions in this light before any of you hall off and make
accusations that are based out the frustrations of being a pioneer.

Pioneering is never easy, but I strongly believe it is worth it. I would not
have dedicated my energies to this task if I didn't believe it would make
the world a better place for all of us. I can say with little pride or
overstatement, that very few people on this planet have worked harder to get
PV systems accepted by utilities and local jurisdictions. Do I like the fact
that it has been a very difficult and hard-fought road? Not at all--but it
happens to have been a necessary one whether anyone agrees with this or not.

Bill.