truly dictatorial [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Sat Dec 15 09:45:15 PST 2001

<x-flowed>
Hello Wrenches,

To me the issue here is UL.  Ex post facto laws are prohibited by the U.S.
Constitution.  I was taught this in High School.  The difference between
the U.S. and oppressive dictatorships was that we had fair laws.  If we
were told it was ok to do something, no one could come along and pass a law
later that would make us liable for actions that were legal at the time.

Although this issue is not exactly a "law," it carries the power of one. It
does interact with legalities.    It may create hardship for thousands of
people who acted in good faith, investing time and money in ventures that
were properly certified at the time.  Now rulings that may damage both
finances and reputations are being levied in an ex post facto manner.

It would certainly be legitimate for UL to require more stringent
regulations for new machines being produced, to meet new
specifications.  But to retroactively retract their approval from inverters
that were manufactured and sold under their stamp of approval, seems
completely dictatorial and out of sync with the basic rights that we are
supposedly guaranteed to have.

Does anyone know if  UL has ever done this before?  If so, what were the
results?  Was UL held liable for any damages?

Best,

Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com