Maytag Neptune Dryer [RE-wrenches]

Pagan.MacKay at traceengineering.com Pagan.MacKay at traceengineering.com
Wed Dec 12 11:47:57 PST 2001

Hello William,

There are some loads that do not recognize the digital stepped waveform
of the SW/PS inverters during low/no load operation.  As loads (current)
increase, the waveform smoothes out due to the filtering affects of the
transformers and other power filters within the inverter causing the
problem loads to now typically start working.  By adding a motor run
capacitor (cap) to the AC output of the inverter you will get the
benefit of the current flowing through the transformers and filters to
help round out the steps of the waveform.  Since the voltage and current
are out of phase with each other the cap draws basically no watts from
the battery.  The size of the cap is not critical but a 50
microfarad/370 Vac cap has typically done the job.

The disadvantages of using the cap are that it adds about 4 watts of
load to the battery and cap will always present a load to the inverters'
search circuit rendering the search mode unusable.

To make the search mode usable when the load needing the smoother
waveform is not on, one can put the cap on a switched circuit.  One note
of caution is the cap will hold its charge for quite some time so having
a load in parallel with the cap will help discharge the voltage from the
cap.  A small light bulb (around 15 watts or so) could be used as the
indicator for when the cap is in the circuit and the discharging load
when the switch is off.

Best,

Pagan

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com