Trace UL and stupidity [RE-wrenches] + Islanding Patent

Rob Wills RWills at AdvancedEnergy.com
Wed Nov 28 15:48:35 PST 2001

Bill - I would like to set the record straight on this.

FIRST! - we have no plans of making our patent a way to prevent other
companies from connecting with the grid.  We are still developing a business
strategy for this, but at the most, would charge a nominal royalty that
would support further islanding research at AE, and more importantly,
islanding evangelism with the utilities (i.e., it really works), and support
for other inverter companies to use this technology.  There are many fine
points to making it work well.
We see the RLC test as being ultimately unwieldy and very time consuming and
would like to move standards to the "Sandia" method with verification that
it is working properly - this would also protect against multiple inverters
using different schemes possibly islanding, which is not currently tested
for.

SECOND! - a little history - Advanced Energy has been working on the
islanding problem since the mid 1990's.  We privately funded Mike Ropp to do
some of the first academic research in this area while he was a grad student
at Georgia Tech.  Mike found that the technique that we had been using up to
that point (basically generating a reference current waveform that was a
little slow, or fast) had "non-detect" zones when tested with the RLC
circuit.

After a lot of thinking and experiment here at Advanced Energy, we came up
with the accelerated feedback methods.  Then, on about November 10th, 1997,
Russ Bonn of Sandia contacted us and said that he wanted to have an industry
meeting on islanding - that it was such an important issue that we had to
meet with two weeks notice, and get together a few days before thanksgiving.

I realized that going to the meeting without filing a patent on what we had
invented would mean that I could not talk about it, so I wrote a provisional
patent application and filed it on November 24, 1997.

AT THE MEETING, Greg Kern of then Ascension Technology (now part of Schott
Applied Power) presented the results of his Federally Funded research -
basically that the techniques that he had been trying could not pass the RLC
test, and that this was potentially a big problem for the industry as
parallel efforts in the IEEE 929 working group relied on the concept of a
"non islanding inverter" to allow us to interconnect on a wide scale.
Ascension had, up until this time, proposed a proprietary scheme of theirs
(code named Zebra).

Later in the meeting, I presented Advanced Energy's anti-islanding
technique, and clearly stated that our work had been filed for a provisional
patent.  A copy of the provisional application was also sent, soon after, to
the IEEE 929 working group (so Bill - if you can check your 1997 email
archive, it should still be there..).

AS TIME WENT ON, Greg Kern and Sandia implemented our method in test
inverters, and found it to work very well.  They published reports on this
and called it the "Sandia Method".  Advanced Energy sent Sandia staff an
email reminding them that the method was subject to a provisional patent,
but never received a response.  I thought that this was not an issue worth
pursuing unless the final patent was granted.  But now it has been granted,
and we do want to set the record straight.

If we had not released our intellectual property at that meeting, we may not
have had an industry solution to islanding, and could have met a road block
in trying to develop IEEE 929, our national standard.

The work that Sandia has done is very valuable, and they have to be thanked
for that.  However, the business model that is used in our country is that
companies use intellectual property to make profits that pay for employees
pay checks.  We have spent hundreds of thousands of our own funds on
islanding research and testing.  It takes a lot of time and money to develop
inverter designs that can grid connect reliably and safely (the Multimode
family cost more than $2 million to develop..).

We plan to use our patent to further the PV industry and to make
grid-interconnection easier and safer.  What more could you want?

Regards

Rob Wills
Advanced Energy