Trace UL and stupidity [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 26 10:46:27 PST 2001

Drake, Larry, and Rob,

The anti-islanding scheme was conceived and developed by Sandia National
Labs with federal funding. Advanced Energy apparently filed for a patent on
this process or some variation of it. If the process is identical to the one
developed by Sandia, than it is based on previous science and therefore the
patent office made a mistake awarding the patent to Advanced Energy.

Any manufacturer is free to apply the Sandia anti-islanding method. If
Advanced Energy decides to use there patent to prevent companies from
applying that federally funded method, that would be a very unwise (and
unpopular) move and would not hold up in a court of law with appropriate
expert witness.

Bill.