Backup generators. [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 21:28:41 PST 2001

We don't do much with diesel.  I had several clients that already purchased
China Diesel units before I met them and they were the loudest piece of
"---" I have ever seen.

We use mostly Kohler propane generators in the 6.5 to 10 kw range.
A 6.5 kW generator consumes 47 cu.ft. of gas per hour at a typical 75 to 80%

One (1) gallon of liquid propane equals 36.39 cu.ft. of gas. Due to liquid
to gas conversion and heat absorption, a standard 500 gallon propane tank
has a limit of 150 cu.ft. per hour conversion limit.  This is still plenty
for a generator this size, but remember a gas stove and range can consume 40
cu.ft. per hour, not to mention adding in the hot water tank.

Generator output ratings are at sea level. A propane fueled generator has a
3% loss of output for each 1000 foot of elevation up to 6000 feet, and a 6%
loss for each 1000 feet after that.

Note:  We only use the 1800 RPM models which work great with Trace SW
inverters.  However, a client finally had too many years on his 1800 RPM
unit which he replaced with the 3600 RPM model.  We had lots of inverter
battery charging problems after the change.  Even with re-programming all
setpoints, the generator still was causing under-voltage type inverter
drop-outs.

Kohler replaced all pre-1997 generators which had excellent engines with
different engines in order to meet new exhaust emission standards, and
installed an electronic type voltage and speed controller.  I have seen
several problems after this change and liked the earlier models better.
Without lots of "tweaking" on this controller, it can't respond to rapid
do not have this problem.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com