third Party Installations [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 08:52:36 PST 2001

Dear Jeff,

Japanese techs share ideas during the work day face-to-face in Japanese. They
rarely talk shop after work. Manuals and drawings are not in English. I don't
know of any internet tech groups in English.

Americans PVers use to freely share ideas thanks to JPL Pasadena's involvement
in PV. The Reagan administration cut PV funds and JPL stopped doing PV work and
facilitating the info exchange in 1984. Then each PV manufacturer circled its
separate wagons and kept tech info in-house naively thinking that their
incomplete knowledge was their competitive advantage. We are still trying to
recover from the age ignorance.

This forum is the closest thing to the JPL hands-on info exchange that's come
along. Occasionally Bill Brooks, John Wiles and others give public training
seminars to share primary knowledge. These meetings are also an opportunity to
share advanced tech ideas. The old JPL tech meetings and today's training
seminars cost money, but wealthy PV module manufacturers (Kyocera, Sharp,
Siemens, BP, Sanyo, etc.) choose to spend their money on marketing instead of
tech training. A perfect example of PV manufacturer non-information is the
"Instruction Manual" that comes with PV modules. Manufacturers provide the
minimum info required by UL. A kitchen sink faucet instruction sheet has more
useful info.

Trace gives good tech training seminars if you can spare the time (and loss of
income) to attend them. But Trace seminars are mostly for newbies and this is an
intermediate and expert group.

PV is a decentralized technology practiced by decentralists. PVers are spread
far and wide and don't get together very often with people outside the small
circle of family, friends and co-workers. It is a privilege to participate in
this group. It is good to know that other minds are available to share their
knowledge (and opinions), be a sounding board, identify parts and suppliers and
help solve problems. It's nice to be able to use the punchline from an old Lenny
Bruce, "I don't know everything, but I have some people on my staff who do."

Brightly,
Joel Davidson

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm