ST RFI [RE-wrenches]

Chuck Heath, SunPower sunpwr at jps.net
Thu Sep 27 12:21:18 PDT 2001

>Hey Wrenches,
>
>I've been talking with a guy that has two ST2500 inverters installed
>in his shop. He's also hooked on AM talk radio. The inverters are
>blitzing his shop radio.
>
>Trace is suggesting Faraday cages for the inverters. Think this would
>be effective? Any of you found a simpler solution to ST generated RFI?
>
>Thanks dudes,
>
>Joe
>--
The first thing to determine is if the interference is coming through the
AC wiring powering the shop radio, or is actually being radiated in the
air. This can be determined with a battery-powered AM radio, or car radio
parked near his shop.

To limit RFI, Jeff's suggestion of ferrite beads is wise. I'd also
suggest getting a better quality AM radio connected to an outside,
long-wire antenna if the source of interference is the wiring rather than
radiation. Having a stronger AM signal will help override any
interference. Sometimes just turning the radio AC plug around (the old
non-polarized types) will eliminate interference.

The suggestion of twisting the inverter cables and enclosing them in
grounded metal conduit should also help.

Just my 2 cents...

Chuck Heath (living inside radios for 50 years)
"Plugging into Sunshine since 1989"

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm