PV as an investment [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Sun Sep 23 15:34:10 PDT 2001

graham at solarexpert.com wrote:

> I just finished reading and enjoying your very thoughtful and eloquent
> views regarding our need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and
> increase our use of solar electricity, on your web page
> http://www.homestead-specialties.com/hs_captive_nation2.html
>
> Thank you.

You're welcome.  Maybe it will come in handy as another tool of
persuasion sometime.

> With that said, I live in Southern California and the vast majority of
> our electricity is generated by burning coal and natural gas.  Both of
> which we have readily available domestically.

True for the moment perhaps, but this will not be so always at today's
prices.  Leastways not without some major conservation efforts down the
line.  That's when we start getting into another dilemma - getting
people to do more with less.  That's not the American way typically
except during a national crisis.

  I am much more deeply
> troubled by the harmful environmental impact as opposed to societal harm
>
> from this dependence on carbon-based energy.

And I am with on this issue.  Don't misunderstand me on that.  However,
it should be obvious now that societal harm is just the reverse side of
the environmental coin.  Both are serious national security issues in my
view, meaning we're all in the same leaky boat.  This latest business of
war and rumors of war is a logical consequence of the industrialized
world's planet plundering tendencies.  The US is arguably one of the
major planet plunderers, certainly in the eyes of the lesser banditos.
These habits of ours have a long and troubling history rooted in the
territory of a culture that is now hurling populated airplanes into our
buildings, ostensibly in the name of God..  That's not a good sign nor
does it make me rest well at night.

My thinking was to point out the co-mingled nature of these various
large problems so they would get scared and TAKE NOTICE finally  LOL!
Fear is a powerful persuader, even more so than ROI.  In this case it's
legitimate and quite timely.  I figure it's time beat the drums loudly -
all of them.

I do agree with you that
> our country would be a much better place if solar power was utilized on
> a much greater scale. It constantly troubles me that in a city the size
> of Los Angeles probably less than 2% of the population has even heard
> the word Photovoltaic, let alone pronounce it.

Trust me.  It's not just there.  Hereabouts the sound of that word is a
mere whisper drowned out by the roar of endless COAL TRAINS hauling in
the scourings of Wyoming and Montana.

> I have found tremendous value provided by the wrenches forum and I am
> truly appreciative of Mr. Welch for his moderation.

Yes, he's got a real knowledge factory working here.

I have a small
> solar company in southern California and I will continue to grow my
> business for another 30 years, and I am very excited about the
> advancements we will all see evolve in our industry.

To be sure.  A lot of us may be dead by that time but we'll be cheering
you on from the other side.

http://www.solarexpert.com/future.html

I'll be checking it out.  I need all the ammo I can find.  Thanks for
offering.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com