off topic [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Thu Sep 13 08:18:04 PDT 2001

info at backwoodssolar.com wrote:
> Apparently we all are entitled to one off topic post under these
> difficult
> circumstances. We have a customer who was working in the second tower
> and
> just escaped with his life, now calling for new  copies of his Brazil
> hydrosystem plans left behind in the building.  I feel compelled to
> speak
> once, to bring a strong concern I feel we must all adress in our
> communities
> about how we respond to the tragedy.
>
> First, I am concerned that the U.S. not avenge these attacks with
> attacks
> upon other innocent people who may happen to be of the same nationality,
> faith, or ethnic group as the alleged perpetrators.  This concern
> extends to
> protecting the safety and rights of people here at home.  Many in this
> country of the Islamic faith or of Middle Eastern descent are worried
> that
> they may now become the unwarranted focus of suspicion in their
> communities
> or, worse, the subjects of unjust persecution.
>
>  Second, many in the administration and Congress have declared that a
>  state
> of war now exists.  I am concerned that these public statements may be
> stirring the popular will and expectation for war.  War against whom?
> War
> will only compound the tremendous assault on humanity that has already
> occurred.  War is not the answer.  The people who committed these acts
> struck with hatred.  They saw the people in the World Trade Center, the
> Pentagon, and the aircraft as faceless enemies.  They denied the
> humanity of
> their victims.  The U.S. must not commit the same sin by compounding the
> hatred, violence, and injustice of these attacks with acts of terror and
> war
> against another people, most of whom are innocent of these crimes.
> Steve Willey

I share your concerns, Steve.  Many do, I'm sure.  But these are not the
"old days" when when we could be so polite about things.  You may want
to ask these people how they feel under the circumstances.

 http://wtc.ny.com/

And these are not even the DEAD.  The dead can no longer speak for
themselves.  This attack may end up representing the highest [dead]
casualty rate of any war action ever on US soil.  Some estimates are now
near 30,000 possibly dead in New York, Pennsylania and Washington.  Only
the battle of Antietam during the Civil War exceeds this number.  But
these are OUR CIVILIANS, not combat arms military.  This is not a
conference table issue anymore.  These people are not negotiators.  They
are madmen.  It's too bad we can't ask the opinions of those people
whose throats were slit on those airplanes about this.  This an atrocity
wrapped in a Holy War.   Being patient about things has gotten us
nowhere and billions in foreign aid through the years have gotten us
even less evidently.

When do you recall someone giving us aid when we really needed it?  I
can only think of two occasions.  One was when the French fleet showed
up at Yorktown in 1781 during the Revolutionary War.  The other was when
the Russians stopped Hitler at Stalingrad in effect enabling US and
Allied forces to make headway against the Germans in Europe.  By the
way, these same nasty Russians are wanting to send their best relief
workers to New York at this very minute.  All across Russia, incidently,
people are burning candles and IN CHURCH saying prayers for these
victims, their families, and US.  Imagine that!  How many of the Muslims
are doing this I wonder.  Some European countries are sending crack
relief workers as well - finally. We sure as hell could use the help
from what I hear.  As of this morning the Corps of Cadets at West Point
has been mobilized and sent down river to New York City.  It looks as
though the Naval Academy will be doing likewise.  One hopes like hell
some further abomination isn't pulled off while all these highly
specialized people are gathered there trying to help out.  PS:  I am not
anti-Muslim.  But I am anti-insanity. And it is a form of insanity that
we may up against with this sort of thing.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com
Direct Email: grail at inil.com