Fw: New Topic MPPT and wind power [RE-wrenches]

hugh piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Thu Sep 13 05:31:02 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
At 5:57 pm +1200 13/9/01, Carl Emerson wrote:
>wonder if we may end up with a separate model for wind with Hall
>Effect sensing
>to eliminate the need to disconnect at sample time.

I would use frequency as the input variable.

At 6:50 am +0000 13/9/01, Christopher Freitas  -  OutBack Power wrote:

>A MPPT type controller for a wind turbine will have to be different than
>a PV MPPT controller.  They are just too different type of power
>sources.  One can be open circuited while the other should be shorted.

You could use an overvolt clamping arrangement of some sort.  Having
said that, it sounds as if you are right and they are two different
beasts.  You would have to defeat the usual functioning of the MPPT
and put its input voltage setting directly under control of turbine
speed (frequency).
--
Hugh

http://www.ScoraigWind.co.uk