SW Efficiency/ PWM Angle Adjustment [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Thu Sep 6 17:02:36 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Hi Wrenches,

To further complicate matters, the energy and economic issues may be
different with various power factors.  I read once, in an electrical
engineering textbook, that most utilities bill on the basis of apparent
power.   That means that reactive power is being billed even though it
produces no useful work.  This is an old textbook, and could well be out of
date.

So if an inverter produced a lot of reactance, would the apparent power or
real power register on the utility meter?   Would putting pure resistive
power back in the grid have a greater payback than power with a large
reactive component?  Could we be selling both reactive power and real power
to the grid?

Bill & Sharkey, thanks to both of you for your many contributions.  I'd
prefer to see your continued participation.   It is this spirited dialogue
that allows us to figure out the subtle  points of our increasingly
technical business.

Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com