Battery Bussing [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 31 16:47:13 PDT 2001

Vaseline after clean, dry connections? I'm not going to touch that one...or any
KY Jelly jokes.

Jelly and other coatings protect terminals from oxygen-accelerated corrosion,
but sticky coatings also attract dust, dirt, bugs, metal filings, etc. I put
nothing on battery terminals the first year. If corrosion is a problem, I take
apart the guilty terminal(s), clean and buff them to bright metal, re-connect
and then apply a light coating of petrol jelly. At the 2nd year anniversary
inspection, I expect to see no corrosion at the treated terminals. If I do see
corrosion, I dock myself for doing a lousy job last year and do it right the
2nd time.

Your client is not helping his batteries by swapping them around annually, but
he is (1) cleaning and tightening terminals, (2) probably cleaning cases from
out-gassing electrolyte "misting," (3) shaking up the electrolyte during the
swapping which agitates and breaks up some stratification and (4) giving his
batteries some TLC.

Batteries are electro-chemical devices (so are RE-Wrenches). Electro-chemical
entities on Earth generally live longer if they are kept at 70 degrees F., not
over-worked, well-fed, kept clean and dry and treated with TLC. So give
yourself a big hug and a pat on the back for making the world a better place,
(ut first wash your hands because battery acid is tough on jeans and t-shirts
(not electro-chemical entities). Happy Solar Labor Day.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com