Battery Bussing [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Fri Aug 31 16:11:28 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Joel D said:
>5. Most battery designers limit to 4 or 5 parallel strings by convention.

I would stress the preference of having a single string, them
minimize it, then maximum 4.

>I have a question about coating the battery terminals before assembly. Is
>the common recommendation after assembly?  I typically have coated after
>assembly and don't coat the AGM's terminals.

Travis

There has always been disagreement here, but my reasoning is that
after assembly, you can't get complete coverage to totally seal the
joint, especially on the underside. -- That's the case with anything
of a greasy consistency, like vaseline or copper-containing terminal
compound. If there is a spray product that flows around and then
hardens, then maybe that is effective to apply after.

I don't know the state-of-art, but have seen pre-assembly vaseline
work wonders year after year of no maintenance.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm