Battery Bussing [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Fri Aug 31 10:49:23 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
>Consider this. A battery bank has 8 each T-105 batteries from the same
>production batch with the same specific gravity .....      .........
>......   under what conditions will interconnect current flow differ?

This is an aside, related to the discussion.

Many of us have pondered over the years of observing premature cell
failures in multi-string battery banks. No matter how well you
attempt to establish symmetry between two or more parallal strings,
you should expect a greater chance of premature cell failure than a
single-string battery bank.

One of my old customers has batteries in an insulated box outdoors.
They were a 5-parallel string at 24V. Three times in 14 years, the
batteries located on the outside of the pack failed first. I had to
conclude that it was temperature differences that were the culprit.
The outer units were less temp-stable than the inner ones. I've heard
of other cases where inner cells fail first because they run hotter.
(One lesson is to leave space between batteries for air circulation.)

A more common culprit is terminal corrosion. A slight added
resistance in one string, from one or more slightly corroded
contacts, will cause less current to flow through that entire string
and thus more to flow in the other(s). Yet, the charge controller
responds to only one voltage reading, being the net of the parallel
bank. This can result in uneven states of charge and failure of one
string to finish-charge, especially with an RE charging source.

Big cells/single strings are the only battery banks that I believe
are likely to live to their full potential, but we have to do what we
can with customers and their budgets.  Use your favorite goop
(vaseline or whatever) on terminal parts BEFORE assembly. An annual
maintenance check should include comparing current between battery
strings under a high-current charge or discharge condition, using a
clamp-on ammeter.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com