Pulling conduits with vacuum [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Aug 6 12:56:26 PDT 2001

Warning!  If you use PVC conduit the vapors from the glue are explosive!

There you are, sucking away at that pipe waiting for the string to arrive
while your shop vac is creating a little bomb of volatile hydrocarbons mixed
with sawdust and shop scraps right behind you.

Fortunately, the solution is easy.  Many shop vacs can act in reverse, and
can blow the string through.  You can buy foam plugs with loops and swivels
designed for the job, but I find this is a perfect use for the thousands of
grocery store plastic bags that accumulate in my life.

Also, I've been working with a commercial electical contractor on a recent
job.  He made me aware of several handy products, one of which is a
measuring string for conduit pulls.  It looks like ribbon for wrapping
presents, but it is marked every foot.  You blow it through the conduit,
subtract the low number from the high number and voila, that's your wire
length.  Use the ribbon to pull your fishtape through on all but the easiest
pulls.

Enjoy the Sun!

Phil Undercuffler
Positive Energy

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious....
the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art
and true science"  --Albert Einstein