grounds [RE-wrenches]

Soluciones Energéticas solenergy at optinet.hn
Fri Aug 3 15:30:07 PDT 2001

Hi Wrenches,

I have a question on grounding systems.  I know that the NEC calls for only
one ground rod and if there is more than one they should be linked with a
line of wire.

OK, but what about a ground rod for a lightning arrestor (lightning rod)?
While the lightning arrestor is installed primarily to avoid lightning, it
also serves a secondary purpose of sending the lightning to the ground if
lightning strikes the arrestor.

Should the ground for the lightning arrestor also be tied to the ground for
the system?
And, if it is tied to the negative ground of the system, wouldn't that
allow a lightning strike to flash through the negative line of the system
to batteries, controller and modules?

Ned van Steenwyk
Soluciones Energeticas
Honduras