Mobile system grounding [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Sat Jul 28 23:25:44 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
The NEC allows vehicle mounted generators to be grounded to the frame.   Is
an inverter mounted on a vehicle substantially different from an engine
generator electrically?  Below is the Code section.

(b) Vehicle-Mounted Generators. The frame of a vehicle shall be permitted
to serve as the grounding electrode for a system supplied by a generator
located on the vehicle under the following conditions:
1. The frame of the generator is bonded to the vehicle frame, and
2. The generator supplies only equipment located on the vehicle or cord-
and plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the vehicle, or
both equipment located on the vehicle and cord- and plug-connected
equipment through receptacles mounted on the vehicle or on the generator, and
3. The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of equipment and the equipment
grounding conductor terminals of the receptacles are bonded to the
generator frame, and
4. The system complies with all other provisions of this article.
(c) Grounded Conductor Bonding. A system conductor that is required to be
grounded by Section 250-26 shall be bonded to the generator frame where the
generator is a component of a separately derived system.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com